• Favorite quote:
Am I missing a tooth? (The Hangover)
• What do you do at AEO?
Stuff. I perform engineering calculations, provide engineering oversight, produce structural models, and provide customer service.
• What are your credentials/past experience, for working in your position?
I currently have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from Oregon Institute of Technology, and my Engineering Intern license in Oregon.
• What do you like about working at AEO?
It’s a smaller company so it feels like a family, there are lots of learning opportunities here, and my 5 minute commute doesn’t hurt either.
• What’s your background?
I started as a student engineering tech right out of high school with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation down in Redding, CA. I moved to Oregon and kept working with the B.O.R. in Klamath Falls all the way through college. I started with a Pre-Engineered Steel Company after college and worked as an estimator there for a couple years. I made the jump to AEO as my professional development goals lined up with the company goals and I have enjoyed it here ever since.
• What are the values that drive you? Perseverance and honesty.
Get things done and tell the truth, it makes everything else simple.
1. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working? Working on my Car, Exploring PDX for new food and drinking establishments, or even reading some comic books.
2. In another life, I'm pretty sure I was a potato farmer in Ireland.
3. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd start a combination whiskey distillery / dog shelter. And, you know, keep working here.
4. The best piece of advice I've ever been given is when you have something important to figure out, sleep on it.
5. If I could invent a holiday, it would definitely involve a combination of drinking, metal music, and bumper cars.
6. What advice would you give a candidate who wants to join our team of superstars? If you work hard, the jobs easy.
7. If I weren't so damn good at my job, I'd probably be training to become batman.
8. Cats or dogs? Dogs, they’re all good boys.
9. My favorite word in the English language is visceral because it sounds so visceral.
10. My favorite word that has no direct English translation is a tie between Cioppino and bouillabaisse, both delicious seafood stews.
11. What's the most inspiring part of your job? The work that I’m doing actually matters.
12. The most important thing I learned before high school was if I saved up more money, I could afford bigger toys.
13. If I were a superhero, my superpower would be not needing any sleep and freeing up a lot more time in my day.
14. When I was 5, I was pretty sure I'd be a firefighter when I grew up.
15. If you were a pasta shape, what shape would you be and why? A funny novelty shape that’s expensive and pointless, just like my personal taste in car accessories.